Friday, May 2, 2008

Facing the Giants


Yesterday, I was left alone at a friend's house and I decided to watch this movie called “Facing the Giants”. The movie is about a high school football team that has grown accustomed to losing. Parents blame head coach Grant Taylor. Taylor blames his apathetic players. And the players blame former star players who transferred to other teams to escape the vicious cycle in hopes of being noticed by college scouts. With Taylor's job on the line, and his personal life in chaos (he's growing tired of not being able to provide a nice car and home for his wife, and he's just discovered that he's the reason his wife can't get pregnant), he turns to God in a deep and moving way.

He begins to seek God late at night and early in the morning. In one such scene, his wife Brooke rolls over in bed at 3:11 am and realizes he's not there. She spots him in another room meditating-reading the Bible and praying. Without saying a word to him, and without his knowledge, she drops to her knees in their bedroom and begins to pray. God meets with Grant and begins to do a work in him, which prompts Taylor to call a team meeting the folwing day.

"Winning football games is too small a thing to live for," he tells them. "We're not here to just to get glory, make money, and die. So I'm here to present you a new team philosophy. We need to give God our best in every area and if we win, we praise him. And if we lose, we praise him."
Grant isn't just referring to actions on the field. He lovingly challenges his players to give God their best in their school work, in the way they spend their free time, and in the way they submit to parental authority. While this is happening, a man in the community with a heart for prayer continues to pray for the students just as he's been doing for many years. A revival breaks out on campus and on the football field. Coach Taylor pushes his guys harder than they've ever worked before, and they start to win.

In case you haven't seen the movie, I won't spoil the ending. The acting isn't always top notch and the ending is predictable. But neither detracts from the movie's power which may just move you to tears whether you like football or not because the movie isn't really about football. It's about what can happen when people seek to honor God with every thought, word, and deed.

One thing that encourages me, where Mr. Bridges (a holy man whose been walking around in front of student’s lockers, praying for students) storms in Coach Taylor’s office and quotes verses from the bible. Here’s that scene….

Coach Taylor : (Surprised) Mr. Bridges!

Mr. Bridges : Revelation Chapter 3 says: We serve a God that opens doors that no one can shut, and he shuts doors that no one can open.
He says: Behold, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and not denied my name.
Coach Taylor, the Lord is not through with you yet. You still have an open door here, and until the Lord moves you, you’re to bloom right where you’re planted…
I just felt led to come and tell you that today. (leaves the office)

Coach Taylor : (Stands up and runs after Bridges) Mr. Bridges! Do you
believe God told you to come tell me that?

Mr. Bridges : I do.

Coach Taylor : I admit to you I have been struggling. But I’ve also been
praying. I just don’t see him at work here.

Mr. Bridges : Grant. I heard a story about two farmers who desperately
needed rain. And both of them prayed for rain, but only one of them went out and prepared his field to receive it. Which do you think trusted God to send the rain?
---
At this scene, I was crying. I can remember how God faithfully provided my needs and He never lacks anything. I ponder that God really showed His glory and mighty deeds even i have many flaws in my life. I cant stop crying when Grant said His prayer one morning,

"I love you Oh LORD my Strength, The LORD is My ROCK and my FORTRESS;
My Deliverer, My God, in whom I Trust, My Shield, My Stronghold and My
Salvation, I will call upon the LORD who is worthy to be praised. So shall I be
safe from my enemies...

Lord Jesus, would you help me? I need you... Lord I feel there are giants,
fear and failure within me just string down waitng to crushed me. ...and I
dont dont know how to beat them Lord. And Im tired of being afraid. Lord
if you want to do something, show me. But if you dont want me to have a child,
so be it. But You're my God. You're on the throne. ..."
He opened doors and changed me from…

A frustrated and wishy-washy "Christian" life who literally wasted days and nights away from worldy follies- to a now well respected, wholesome, and a man of substance.

A nerd jerk, full of pretensions, inferiorities and insecurities. Having a worldy desire and fooling other people-to a now very good looking, very decent, very charming, eligible bachelor!!! (Wink! Wink!)

A great failure, despised by a lot of people whom he let down, who gave their time, trust and talent on his empty promises.The list could go on and on from here of the great things that God has done for me...

All through out the film. As I listen more carefully to the lines… I cried more than 10 times and reflect on the promises of God. And these are not just tears falling off my checks in dignified splendor. I was wailing like a kid whenever a scene triggered things from the past struggles I have come through.

Well, just sharing, I hope you could see the film and spread the word. For all those hurting and broken and helpless who would come across this blog. I would like to encourage you that God can turn things around for you…the same way he did for me and maybe even more. All it really takes is a small amount of faith, and a lot of humility… and you may well be off to face your giants as well!

13 comments:

Life in Cebu! said...

Quotes:
"FACING THE GIANTS is a great movie about how God can change lives on and off the football field. Every family in America should see it."
- Dan Reeves, NFL Coaching Great

"What an uplifting story of faith overcoming fear! We live in a world where fear and bad news seem to dominate our thoughts. It's good to know someone is putting a positive message in the movies that will encourage people from all walks of life."
- John Maxwell, NYT Best-selling author, speaker, and Founder of INJOY and EQUIP

Lauren said...

Hi there,

My name is Monique & I'm part of the PR team for Sherwood Pictures--creators of FACING THE GIANTS.
Thank you so much for supporting the movie on your blog! We wanted to keep you informed of their latest project--FIREPROOF.
It's due to hit theaters this September in theaters nationwide. You can go to www.fireproofthemovie.com to view the trailer, ready the synopsis, and sign up for updates to stay up to date with all of the FIREPROOF happenings! If you're interested in learning more or need any resource, pictures, and downloads for your blog please email me at monique@lovell-fairchild.com and I will be happy to get you what you need.

Again, thanks for blogging!
Monique
Lovell-Fairchild Communications

Life in Cebu! said...

Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your comment! Its really an honor that you visit my site. i really love the movie and my friends were truly blessed by this one of a kind Christian movie. Regards to the casts of Facing the Giants and your upcoming movie FIREPROOF. Praying that it will truly hit in the market.

swordofdan said...

"Facing the Giants is the a movie full of values and gives a great perspective in regards to life. Yes, some of us may not play football. But everyday we are in our playing field facing giants. As for me personally i am happy and glad that my God is greater than any trials and any giants that may come my way. The victory and glory is Christ alone."
God bless you bro...

heno.nica.bruno. said...

Revelation Chapter 3 says: We serve a God that opens doors that no one can shut, and he shuts doors that no one can open. He says: Behold, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and not denied my name.

-nakaka-move po ang verse na yan. angganda po ng blog nio.. indescribable talaga si Lord. :)
>>more power and God bless!

[nbsa ko lng po 2 dahel sa batchmate ko..] thanks po. :)

Mommy Fritzie said...

I wish more film productions would create such movies as Facing the Giants... it's the kind of movie that more of our generation needs to watch and reflect on... it changed me, too, and i know that whoever would watch it will also be blessed as i was and my friends who also have seen it...
God bless!

koguee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
koguee said...

i wanna see that movie.

btw, sherwood pictures (the church behind this movie) has also released fireproof. another compelling story that you should not miss watching.

although i am not in a marriage relationship, still the scenes of salvation is touching and cathartic in a positive manner.

Unknown said...

great movie. I'll doing a movie showing with our small group, then do the bible study i downloaded from their site. i am excited

karla said...

we went through the same process in watching the movie. i watched it twice and still i can't help but let my tears trickle down my cheeks. i am challenged to do the same. at first i told myself that such amazing revival can only happen in movies. but then, like a whisper from the Holy Spirit, the phrase "Nothing is Impossible with God" kept telling me that i can be a vessel as well to a great revival in the lives of other people around me but first i must experience it myself. Thank you for your inspiring blog =)

Unknown said...

hi LIC,

i heard about this movie a long time ago, around 2006 to 2007. my friends who saw it and raved about it. i really wasn't interested since i'm not football fan, until this year, when i somehow felt that i had to watch it. i didn't really have any idea what this movie is about until today. i finished the movie and i love it so much i want the whole world to watch it! i cried in almost every part of the movie. i cried not so much because i could relate to the issues shown therein, but more on the reality of who God really is! this movie, magnified the Lord in so many beautiful ways and God's character shown through so clearly! Our God is in the business of doing the impossible! He is always working in cases unimaginable.

thank you for writing about this movie on your blog! i pray many others will get hold of a copy of this movie and be transformed dramatically. even if i know some ppl don't have the original copy, i still thank God for allowing them to see this beautiful film. i pray for more revivals to be caused by the Holy Spirit through this movie. Let's prepare for rain!

God bless you bro,

Life in Davao

Unknown said...

hi LIC,

i heard about this movie a long time ago, around 2006 to 2007. my friends who saw it, raved about it. i really wasn't interested since i'm no football fan, until this year, when i somehow felt that i had to watch it. i didn't really have any idea what this movie is about until today. i finished the movie and i love it so much i want the whole world to watch it! i cried in almost every part of the movie. i cried not so much because i could relate to the issues shown therein, but more on the reality of who God really is! this movie, magnified the Lord in so many beautiful ways and God's character shown through so clearly! Our God is in the business of doing the impossible! He is always working in cases unimaginable.

thank you for writing about this movie on your blog! i pray many others will get hold of a copy of this movie and be transformed dramatically. even if i know some ppl don't have the original copy, i still thank God for allowing them to see this beautiful film. i pray for more revivals to be caused by the Holy Spirit through this movie. Let's prepare for rain!

God bless you bro,

Life in Davao

Life in Cebu! said...

Thank you for your comments.

I'll be posting my Facing the Giants part 2 soon.